E-tail, social media integration, mobile payments, customer analytics and advancements in retail logistics are changing both customer expectations and the way retailers do business. To be competitive in this retail revolution, many foundational elements must be continually optimized, including technology, telecom and supply chain transportation.
NPI is uniquely qualified to help retailers achieve two key objectives:
NPI provides unbiased analysis, supplier-specific market intelligence and advice that has helped leading retail brands differentiate their shopping experience, reduce their retail logistics costs and increase profit margins. We help retailers:
- Plan the big picture: NPI establishes a sourcing and savings roadmap that spans the entire IT and logistics ecosystem. For IT: Customer-facing applications, warehouse management solutions, ERP, mobile POS, etc. For telecom: Wireless, wireline, networking, data center. For transportation: Mode optimization, transportation network design, shipping rates, SLAs.
- Make budgets go as far as possible: Retailers are under continuous pressure to improve the shopping experience and optimize supply chain operations. NPI prevents overspending on every IT, telecom and logistics purchase and renewal so our clients can stretch their budgets further.
- Fill knowledge gaps: The advancement of retail IT, telecom and logistics is moving at breakneck speed. In some cases IT and supply chain executives are making first-time purchases with little or no experience in those specific areas (for example, business intelligence applications or international air freight). In other cases, even the most experienced sourcing professionals just don’t have the time to keep up with changes in the IT vendor and carrier landscape. At NPI, we work on strategic IT, telecom and logistics purchases every day, enabling us to bring real-time “on the street” market knowledge and data to the table.
- Fill bandwidth gaps: As the retail experience transforms, many organizations simply can’t absorb the surge in IT, telecom and logistics sourcing activity – all available resources are fully deployed to keep current operations running reliably, plan for the future, and implement new systems and processes. NPI provides on-demand bandwidth for the sourcing teams.
- Benchmark: We ensure each client’s purchase prices and terms are competitive using up-to-the-minute insights into the vendor and carrier marketplace.
- Build accountability and flexibility into purchases: NPI helps clients assure that their supplier relationships include SLAs that enforce quality promises. We also help clients build into their supplier relationships the flexibility to adapt to future changes – both planned and unplanned – in vendor/carrier requirements.
- Eliminate overspending: Retailers are entering uncharted territory with new IT,telecom and logistics initiatives, upping the risk of overspending on these purchases. NPI’s resources and advice help clients avoid overspending on new purchases as well as renewal of existing investments.
- Achieve strategic sourcing goals: Most clients have broader objectives such as improving alignment between IT and procurement; or establishing consolidated view of outsourcing resources, projects and personnel, and establishing associated processes for increased vendor mangagement effectiveness. NPI consultants help clients define and execute plans to meet these strategic sourcing goals.
NPI PERSPECTIVES on Retail Logistics
For most retailers, shipping costs are at historical highs thanks to year-over-year rate hikes from small parcel carriers, and limited carrier competition.
Most retailers are overpaying. Read more >